I want to like Martha Jones. I really do. Because nothing is more irritating than trying to watch Doctor Who with a companion you dislike. It takes all the fun out of it. So making peace is better, in a sense.
Maybe it’s too early in the season to judge, but it’s been 5 episodes and I’m not warming up to her. Yes, I had Rose feels in Doomsday, and 10 crying made me whimper like a baby, so could be remnants of that?
I go through Tumblr and it’s about a 70-30 ratio of MJ fans to… Non-MJ ones. And people just won’t shut up about her “BAMF-ness”, so does some epic shit happen in accordance to her character? Because so far it’s been a bit of a bland season overall…
I do appreciate her intelligence, just not the constant reiteration of her “unreciprocated love” with a man she’s known for all of what, a week? He is going through his own recovery, after all.
Oh, there just aren’t enough hours in the night for DW.
She’s supposed to be difficult.
Because she’s written as his healer.
Healing wounds like that isn’t easy.
So she’s going to push his buttons to get him to open up and get over losing Rose.
Unfortunately, in the process of his healing, Martha Jones receives scars by his hand.
Look closely at how he treats her. How callous he is. How he flippantly ignores her fear of being kidnapped by slavers. How he literally calls her an idiot just one episode after she gives her last breath to save his life.
Add in the fact that she’s been the one who has had to hold it together (her family breaking up since her dad left her mother for another woman).
She wanted to escape, and here comes this man offering the sun, the moon and the stars.
And slowly but surely he’s treating her like she’s nothing, making her second guess her own capabilities.
She’s fighting her own insecurities while being with him. Because in the back of her mind, she’s thinking “Will I be good enough, or will he just dump me on this next trip?”
Too many people forget that Martha has feelings too.
LULZ @ black women having feelings…
So I’m re-watching series three at the moment, and I know it’s cool to hate on Martha for a variety of reasons, some of which, I think, can be attributed to the fact that she had the misfortune of being the first new companion after Rose, and she just wasn’t Rose. For me, she did have her moments, sometimes I liked her, other times I didn’t, but she did end up saving the whole world, and the Doctor. But the real reason that Martha Jones will always be my least favorite companion is because of how she left the Doctor. I can understand wanting to move on, most people don’t travel with the Doctor forever even if they want to, but it was how she left that put me off. She left him because she fancied him and he was never gonna see her the way she saw him, which just wasn’t fair to him, that he should be punished for just wanting a friend, someone to travel with, and the fact that she had the nerve to go and do that to him, to leave him all on his own right after the Master died, is just unforgivable for me. She knew that the Master’s death had devastated him, and that he was all alone, the very last time lord in existence, and she went and abandoned him. It’s like, “thanks for all the amazing things you showed me and all the adventures we had, have fun being the last of your kind and knowing that everyone you care about will eventually either die, grow old, or leave you.”
Because she was supposed to just totally ignore the status of her family after they had been kidnapped and held hostage by the Master?
She was supposed to ignore her own feelings about the entire situation and continue to be his emotional whipping post?
He needed to be left the hell alone. He honestly DESERVED to be alone.
We always talk about The Doctor’s feelings, but we are never supposed to empathize with Martha Jones, the woman whose life was RUINED by The Doctor (By his own damn admission).
Out of doctors 9, 10, and 11, Clara Oswald will be the first companion with brown hair… weirdddddddy
Martha has brown hair, dearest…. She’s brunette.
Wait…did OP tag this with Martha Jones and then go on to ignore the fact that she is a brunette?
A whole lot of folks think that only white folks can be naturally blonde, brunette or red head….
- Rose:falls in love with Doctor
- Fandom:omggg guys i ship them soo hard! My OTP 5everrr
- Martha:falls in love with Doctor
- Fandom:back the fuck off, bitch
- Donna:sasses Doctor
- Fandom:I love Donna so much, I mean how can you not love her, though? she just feeds it to the Doctor
- Martha:sasses Doctor
- Fandom:shut the fuck up, Martha. No one cares what you think, and the Doctor's not gonna listen to you.
- Amy:is engaged. Forces Doctor up against the wall and kisses him.
- Fandom:still loves Amy
- Martha:is single. Doctor grabs her face and tongue kisses her. She knows nothing about Rose at this point.
- Fandom:eww Martha who the hell do you think you are kissing Rose's man?
- Rose:has boyfriend and mom help her open the heart of the TARDIS. She looks inside, and the TARDIS's soul or whatever saves the Doctor in like ten minutes.
- Fandom:wow, Rose, you go girl, such a BAMF!
- Martha:Walks a post apocalyptic earth by herself for an entire year while the Doctor and everyone she loves is being tortured by an evil dictator. Uses no superhuman powers to save Doctor, family, and entire world.
- Fandom:ehhh, she's okayyy I guesss.
- Rose:wants to stay with the Doctor no matter what even though she may never see her family ever again. Her mother is crying for her. At this point, they do not think they will ever be able to communicate with her ever again.
- Fandom:omgg i ship them sooo hard, guise! She's so loyal.
- Martha:leaves the Doctor to take care of her family because they need her. Knows for sure she will see the Doctor again. Gives him her mobile so she can make sure it happens. Makes him promise it will happen.
- Fandom:what the hell? You're not companion material if you're giving up on the adventure and on the Doctor. He needs someone, you selfish bitch, and you just abandon him.
- Martha:Works as a maid in pre-WWI England in order to protect the Doctor's identity from the Family of Blood. Has to deal with constant racist and sexist comments from little shits in a posh boarding school. Is constantly put down because of her skin color. Save the town and the world by getting John Smith to "die" in order for the Doctor to live. Oh, and she saved most of the town when she grab the Mother, which allowed some of the folks to leave.
- Fandom:I don't care. How great is Nurse Redfern?!?!?
- Martha:Takes offense when The Doctor insults her intelligence, belittling her in comparison to a woman she has no background information on, one episode after she gives her last breath to save his life.
- Fandom:MARTHA YOU ARE SUCH A WHINY BITCH! OMG HE MENTIONED ROSE! MY FEELS!
Day 16 - Favourite Martha Moment
For the record, I don’t really like Martha too much. I spend more time yelling at her, going on about “DAMMIT MARTHA! You had ONE JOB!”
Seriously, she’s not a very good doctor, she awakened the Master, she messed up Earth’s ultimatum move by taunting the Daleks, and she let the Doctor eat a pear! That is UNFORGIVABLE.
1. Not a very good doctor, yet she literally gives her last breath to save his life on the moon after that chick with the straw sucked the life from him.
2. Because she was supposed to know that this particular time lord was a malicious one? And she was also supposed to know that apparently ALL the time lords have the pocket watch as their item of choice for the humanizer thingy??
3. Last time I checked, so did Jack Harkness with the diamond bomb on the ship, but I don’t see you coming down on him….
4. Seeing as how he treated her like shit throughout the entire series, he can eat all the fucking pears in the world. May his diet consist of nothing but pears for the rest of his existence. Pears AND apples
Doctor Who Meme ✖ [1/9] Scenes
I love the look on Martha’s face.
Because I bet she read that Sonnet when she was in school.
And the realization that that fucking sonnet is going to be about HER RADIANT BLACK BEAUTY!!!
Martha Fucking Jones gets POETRY written for her that lasts through the ages.
I feel like you could make a drinking game out of the Martha Jones tag.
Every time a post mentions:
“She was so whiny.”
“She didn’t do as much as the other companions.”
“She had no right to fall in love with the Doctor.”
“SHE’S NOT ROSE”
or any variation of the above,
TAKE A SHOT. You’ll
be drunkDIE OF ALCOHOL POISONING in no time.
Fixed that for you….