I appreciate this type of cutesy sentiment to a certain degree but we’re really not all Sikhs. More solidarity would be inspired by lending a voice to denounce the systemic factors that have contributed to increasing intolerance and violence against Sikhs. The type of bigotry Sikhs are forced to face in our post 9/11 society is a combination of racial and religious discrimination. I’m not a Sikh and I don’t understand what it’s like to live as a Sikh in any part of the world. This wasn’t an attack against me or my identity other than as a fellow human-being and I do nothing to recognize or combat the systemic issues that lead to incidents like this by standing in solidarity with those affected and the Sikh community by saying, “Hey, I’m one of you today.” We’ll never feel the same amount of pain Sikhs feel over this because we don’t understand what it’s like living as a Sikh. We weren’t all Jews when those schoolchildren were shot in France. We weren’t all Black when Trayvon Martin was pursued and shot for walking in his own neighborhood. We’re not all Sikhs now.
Perhaps this all sounds like a rather harsh thing to say over a statement (presumably) meant to inspire solidarity but, while it may make us feel better momentarily, it really doesn’t help in the slightest.
- Aries:a knife, lots of stab wounds, especially ones in the face- most likely a rage kill. After they were done stabbing you, they'd start ripping you limb from limb, even if you were already dead.
- Taurus:Their bare hands, and they'd strangle you to death. They'd stare into your eyes intensely as they suffocated you to death, maybe even adding in a few dramatic "I got you in the end, you know." phrases while doing it.
- Gemini:It all depends on what is convenient for them to use as a murder weapon- they're clever, so they'd figure it out quickly. Most cannibals are Geminis, so they'd probably eat you afterwards. If you really fucked them over, maybe they'd cut off your hands and watch you bleed to death, probably laughing while doing it.
- Cancer:They'd take you to the beach and find a secluded area only to tie you to a boulder in the shallows of the beach and watch the tide slowly drown you and sea creatures start to pick at your helpless/crying for help corpse.
- Leo:They'd make a whole sport of it- they'd find a bunch of really sadistic, fucked up people on the black market and put you in a pit filled with big cats (especially lions), you'd hear "let the games begin!" and a spotlight would come on the death pit as your torn to shreds.
- Virgo:They'd make it look like an accident somehow. Regardless, no one would ever find out that they did it, because they'd cover their tracks well enough.
- Libra:Similar to the virgo one, but they'd definitely pretend to be distraught by what happened, and mask that they were involved really well...but in order to get you back, they'd get your family, your friends, and other people you cared about to show THEM sympathy, and to be on their side.
- Scorpio:Succinolcholine injection after chloroforming the person helpless. (sp? A horse tranquilizer that is extremely hard to detect and basically make the person POWERLESS to do ANYTHING except suffocate to death. It makes all muscles go soft.) and they'd talk to you about how powerless and helpless you were until you died.
- Sagittarius:beating the shit out of someone until they were literally an unrecognizable bloody mass.
- Capricorn:Shooting someone in the head, mafioso style. They'd want it to be quick and clean, and they'd have organized a team to cover for them, dump the body, and probably hired virgo to hide the evidence.
- Aquarius:It'd either be something really strange, whacky, and off the wall, like killing someone in the middle of a play by planning to have a stage light dropped on them, or they'd make an example of you in front of a bunch of their "followers" which they'd most likely have if they were crazy enough to kill.
- Pisces:They'd capture you and play surgeon, the whole time ranting and raving about "how it feels" to feel pain as intensely as the emotional pain that they feel. They'd make sure that the kill took a long time so that they had a captive audience for a long time- another reason they'd prolongue it is they'd enjoy being the predator instead of the victim for once.
I just need to get this out because so much of the response towards criticism of the new HBO show ‘Girls’ has been bugging the shit out of me. It’s not a new argument. I’ve been hearing it for years and years but recently I’ve just gotten tired of tolerating it. People have been promoting ‘Girls’ as this big, feminist triumph. ‘It’s a show about ‘normal’ girls and addressing their lives in a ‘realistic’ way.’ ‘It’s a show about women that’s being created and written by women’ ‘THIS IS SO EMPOWERING!!!’
But then people started criticizing the show about the lack of notable WOC roles. And in response to those criticisms, I feel like the people that are defending this show as feminist are trying to eat their cake and have it too. They say, ‘yeah yeah there are no women of color but look at how groundbreaking this show is in other areas! Just having this show at all is good for women.’ But my response to that phrase is always the same. What kind of woman? Because from my perspective, this show’s possible success is only good for white women.
‘Girls’ isn’t the only property that has this issue. I mean there were countless of articles after ‘The Hunger Games’ made an ass ton of money that were creaming themselves in delight about how good that film’s success will be for women and women led movies. But from my perspective The Hunger Games success does shit for me and for all the other women of color out there.
Successful media that stars white women will only be good for more media that stars white women. Ripley begat Sarah Connor who begat Scully who begat Xena who begat Buffy who begat Bella who begat Katniss. Notice a pattern? Mulan was a popular movie both critically and financially but who did she begat?
I mean it’s not like I hate white women characters. I love so many. So many that it becomes depressing to me. Yes, I’m a woman but I’m black too. And I don’t want to constantly have to push my blackness aside so I can support media that’s “good for women” when I’m hardly ever included in the media and when I am, I’m used as a prop for the lead white female. How exactly is this good for me?
This is all over this place but I just wanted to put this all down because it’s something that’s just been really bothering me for awhile.
“White people’s number one freedom, in the United States of America, is the freedom to be totally ignorant of those who are other than white. We don’t have to learn about those who are other than white. And our number two freedom is the freedom to deny that we’re ignorant.”
AKA Queen and Goddess of All
the truth…which is displayed every day on tumblr and in real life
If you get a chance, watch a few videos of her workshops. She does NOT care about White folks’ fee fees. She does NOT position herself as the expert (as a matter of fact, she talks directly TO people of color about their experiences with racism a great deal and assumes *gasp!* that we know what the fuck we’re talking about).
Most definitely looking up her workshops when I get the chance….
WARNING: Jane Elliott gives no fucks about White Women’s Tears. None.
This Week’s Cover: Viola Davis and George Clooney talk Oscars, acting, and their longtime friendship
I couldn’t be Clooneys homey…he too fine and when he grows a beard….Yeesh
If Viola Davis is nominated for an Oscar for “The Help”, I think she has a good chance at a win. You know why?
- Denzel Washington’s Oscar for “Training Day”
- Halle Berry’s Oscar for “Monster’s Ball”
Connect them dots right there, kiddos.
Dear Black Folk, Niggas, Nikkas, and whatever variation of that shit you people call yourself,
The Oscars are well on their way and we just want to make sure we send a loud, clear message, that even porch monkeys like you can understand. We don’t understand black people. You people confuse us, but dammit if you don’t make us enjoy watching you in roles in which we find comfort in our superiority. That’s why we’re offering all of you people the Mammy/Threatening-Black-Male/Black character of no substance Oscars.
Don’t worry! We’ll still dress it up in a way that alerts no one to our secret doings, and you can take that shiny trophy home for the low rate of the abolishment of the NAACP and your racial pride! We’ll even trick you into think you’re doing a good service for your people!
We still don’t understand you colored, but we will give out awards for following our rules.
Welp as fuck.
I take this seriously, but I’ll be damned if the bolded didn’t make me cackle out loud.
But damn if Clooney and Davis don’t make a good couple.
damn that was accurate and bolded is funny as hell
but i’m still rooting for Viola man and this cover is dope
Shit Relaxed Girls say to Natural Girls