1) Stop calling our natural hair ugly.
3) Stop using placement in the natural hair community to bully Black women who may still have relaxed hair or weaves.
4) Stop saying “she’s pretty…for a dark-skinned woman.”
5) Stop saying “she’s pretty…for a big/fat woman.”
6) Stop implying that any biracial women who identify as Black or any light skinned Black women are the only ones that are attractive, and stop acting like any Black woman who deviates from this appearance should be “lucky” to have a man, regardless of how utterly lousy that man might be. Love is not something to be rationed out like a commodity only for those who are closest to appearing White.
7) Stop saying “you’re too pretty to be single.” Attraction to someone has NOTHING to do with THEIR choice to pursue a relationship or not. This is inherently patriarchal and in fact not even a logical thing to say.
Who should stop this? ANYONE who does it (that’s you White and people of colour), INCLUDING other Black men and Black women. Reject White supremacist, Eurocentric and patriarchal thoughts about beauty.
I go to cosmetology school and a woman of color turned me down as their stylist just because i am white. right in front of my face she explained she did not what a white person doing her hair and requested a person of color. the school asked her to leave…
It is not incumbent upon black women to allow ignorant white students who attend cosmetology schools with a white supremacist curricula to use our hair as guinea pigs you ignorant fuck. Why don’t you actually read the testimonials of those of us who’ve tried that shit & see how poorly it turned out for us.
If you’re going to allow students to style your hair you should realize that to a certain extent, regardless of your race, you are a guinea pig. You should also realize that regardless of your type of hair there is a chance it will come out poorly because they are students.
You’re also assuming that black cosmetologists know how to style all types of hair, which isn’t true. I’ve seen (and know) a lot of girls with naturally straight hair who don’t know how to style coily or spirally hair and even fuck it up.
If you don’t want there to be “ignorant white students who attend cosmetology school”, you should offer assistance and education. You shouldn’t be flinging around racist comments or defending those who do. That doesn’t solve anything. That just makes you look like a pretentious asshole.
People do not just wake up and know how to style every type of hair under the fucking sun. It doesn’t fucking work like that. For someone to know how to style hair they actually have to come in fucking contact with it. They (gasp) have to make mistakes and learn from them.
Calling white students ignorant while offering no input or education (a simple: “this product works great”, “this x might offer more information”, “this iron goes great with x type of hair”), like so many people do all the time on this website, does little to nothing to solve the fucking problem.
I can tell you straight up that licensed black cosmetologists sure as fuck know how to do white folks hair because that’s exactly what beauty school teaches.
When white folk decide that they want to make learning how to do black hair enough of a priority that they will incorporate black folks’ knowledge into formal curricula—and pay us for the privilege—we can talk. Until then? You can shut the fuck up with blaming black folk for living in a white supremacist society.
- yaps on about equality and human rights on their blog
- tells black people they should be content with being treated like guinea pigs as if that isn’t some of the most othering shit ever (ie. “you aren’t the default so of course we gotta learn from experimenting on you like an animal”)
typical white girl bullshit