7 Things To STOP Saying To Black Women About Beauty
1) Stop calling our natural hair ugly.
2) Stop approaching our natural hair with a hierarchy than reinforces colourism.
3) Stop using placement in the natural hair community to bully Black women who may still have relaxed hair or weaves.
4) Stop saying “she’s pretty…for a dark-skinned woman.”
5) Stop saying “she’s pretty…for a big/fat woman.”
6) Stop implying that any biracial women who identify as Black or any light skinned Black women are the only ones that are attractive, and stop acting like any Black woman who deviates from this appearance should be “lucky” to have a man, regardless of how utterly lousy that man might be. Love is not something to be rationed out like a commodity only for those who are closest to appearing White.
7) Stop saying “you’re too pretty to be single.” Attraction to someone has NOTHING to do with THEIR choice to pursue a relationship or not. This is inherently patriarchal and in fact not even a logical thing to say.
Who should stop this? ANYONE who does it (that’s you White and people of colour), INCLUDING other Black men and Black women. Reject White supremacist, Eurocentric and patriarchal thoughts about beauty.